FrontPage server extensions are a set of server-side applications that:
- Let several people collaborate simultaneously on the same Web site and Web Server (multi-user authoring).
- Let users write directly to the Web server using a PC or laptop computer from anywhere in the world via the Internet (remote authoring).
- Let users include forms on their Web site and specify how the results of those forms are handled.
- Let users include discussion Webs on their Web site.
- Provide full text search capability on a Web site.
- Let users include hit counters on their Web site.
- This “pre-packaged” functionality lets users incorporate these advanced features without having to write the complex server-side programs typically required.
Can users create a FrontPage-based Web without using the server extensions?
Absolutely. With the exception of the functionality mentioned above, there is no difference between a Web site that uses the server extensions and one that does not.